I am not surprised to read that YouTube is used by younger folks as a search engine. My sons are both very familiar with YouTube's content, and it is often their first stop when looking for amusement or how-to information. I guess I just never really thought about it for myself. I can see why it would be so attractive. Moving images transmit a great deal of information quickly as opposed to having to read and process written text. I would hate for this to supplant serious research using the written (and authenticated) word, but I can really see applications for YouTube content as a teaching and learning tool.
Coincidentally, last night I called my son for some tech help. I wanted to include a YouTube snippet on my new blog. By the way, don't go to UTube - it's distressing! I was amazed at the way he was able to talk me through the site: look here, look there, type in this. We had such a great time last night sharing these videos and finding more to look at! The longest phone conversation we've ever had. Now - if my 20-year-old son finds this so motivating that he will spend 45 minutes on a Saturday night talking to his mom, how can I avoid the fact that there is a resource for relevant, interesting video that I am not using.
I understand that YouTube is blocked at school. This seems silly, because I know the kids are probably the only ones who can now still access it. I guess I'd be interested to find ways to access these videos and use them in my lessons. Could I embed them in a new document?
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment